Got the flu, and now high

9 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jono20201 DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
5 posts

Hi all,

I've gotten the flu for the first time since becoming diabetic, and honestly I don't think I have ever felt so ill. The first few days were okay from a BG point of view however today I decided to try and go back to work (started new job a month ago and didn't want to take any more time that I had to) and that wasn't a great decision.

Tested by BG and it was 24, so I took my normal correction dose and then went and did a ketone test (as I always carry one the urine strips with me) and for the first time the strip didn't look like a good colour. I waited an hour and then re-did the test and it was worse. I called the diabetes nurse phone number provided by my local hospital and she said I should follow the DAFNE principle of adding up my last 24h insulin in take and give myself 10% of that and so I did and it worked, I was more/less ketone free - I also went home early.

However, tonight my BG has gone back up to 20mmol, but there are no ketones present. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Problems/Questions:

1. When I got home I used my FreeStyle test kit with Ketone strips. Unfortunately I only have 4 left, if I go to my GP tomorrow do you think they can rush a prescription through to get more?

2. Should I use the urine strips as a general guide to see if there is anything at all and then use the machine if there is more than a trace to keep track of it?

3. I'm still fairy new to diabetes, and very new to been ill with it, do you guys have any tips on top of DAFNE principles?

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Hi,

I never have in date (don't use them often enough) ketone sticks, I just assume (I can tell, usually taste it, pear drops, thirst too) when I have BG over 16+ there are going to be issues, I just correct as normal if its food related (bad carb counting). Or try follow DAFNE sick day rules of checking every few hours etc... if I'm ill.

On a side note, who else feels hot and bothered (just clothes rubbing when high makes me irritable), irritable as though they could kill when they're stupidly high 20+

Phil

BeccyB DAFNE Graduate
NHS Birmingham East and North
50 posts

I'm the other way round Phil - I'm vile when I'm hypo! In fact snapping at someone is sometimes my first sign

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

Jono - did you have your flu-jab?

Jono20201 DAFNE Graduate
5 posts

Phil Maskell said:
I never have in date (don't use them often enough) ketone sticks

I rarely use the blood ketone test, normally just the urine strip. This is the first time since diagnosis I have had ketone's.

Alan Constable said:
Jono - did you have your flu-jab?

Indeed I did, they also have me pneumonia tab too! Two very sore arms that evening....

Neville COL DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
23 posts

Similar issues after Christmas with a chest infection, and high blood sugars into the twenties: no ketones strips for my machine, so descended on Boots on Boxing day and invested a fiver in some urine test strips as I thought I might be really ill! no ketones so after a quick e mail to my trainer just went with corrections each meal/overnight. It took about a week to get back into normal range though! Not helped by the fact it was post Christmas, so not feeling well did nt do usual (limited!) exercise! Be patient, DAFNE does work but it takes time! Dont forget your flu jab: hope you had one!

David01 DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
10 posts

Hi Jono

Sorry only just seen your post. Hope you're feeling better. If I'd been in your position (been diabetic for almost 34 years - but only 12 months into using DAFNE) I'd have gone straight to testing for ketones with my meter. My reasoning for that is that - based on my personal experience of having flu while I've been diabetic - I've always developed a secondary infection as a result. If anything, the secondary infections have lasted longer and made me feel worse than the flu, so anything I can do to get my BG close to my target ranges has got to be good. I'd also echo what Neville said about the flu jab. If you don't usually bother, please consider it seriously. I've been having the jab since 1987. I admit there's been three years when it didn't work,but it didn't work for anybody those years. Looking at the positives there's been 24 years when it did work. And at least we, as T1s, don't have to get over that fear of needles to get over when we go for the vaccination!.

Jono20201 DAFNE Graduate
5 posts

Thanks guys. Thankfully the flu has passed and I'm now back to normal. I have, and will always have the flu jab as even if it doesn't work I don't see it doing any harm. I have had other medical conditions that make having illnesses worse anyway, so I am more than happy to have immunisations.

When I am next ill I'll definitely be checking my BG much more and following my DAFNE book, as it definitely did help. I'll also be sure not to try and go back to work too soon, as I don't think that helped.

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Please to hear that you have recovered.
DAFNE sickness rules work well for most of us it seems...but there will always be times and circumstances where HCP support or assistance may be needed though.
Regards
Garry