Night time Hypo - Depression!

12 posts, 8 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Hi,

Just a quick one, I had a massive hypo last night (several hours cycling, didn't decrease background enough), I am self funding the new Freestyle Libre and it shows I was low from 1:30 to about 5. I didn't wake up though until 5:30, did a real BG test which was 4.1, I guess liver had kicked out some glycogen! Waking like this in the past (very sweaty) and testing I would not have known how low for how long I had been.

Question, if/when others have hypos like this at night how do you feel the next day? What are your BGs like, I am now running about 10 to 11!

Rubbish like this is getting me down, this is why I have funded the Libre, I am finding with massive amounts of exercise (keen cyclist, about 150+ miles a week) I yo-yo BG wise all over and this effects my moods massively, which isn't fair on my family.

Where is the cure that tomorrows world promised in the 80s?

Rant over!

Phil

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Exercise is pain to cater for.............

My excuse for not doing enough............Smile

I often find myself waking up with hypos over night which is fortunate.............my response is to treat with 20g, however I can see myself gorging in snacks, trying to bolus for the extra then waking up high after failing to calculate the right insulin......

CurlyWurly DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
15 posts

I went to bed feeling good - a 14hr day at work but sugar levels were acceptable the whole day and I was looking forward to a great night sleep and then bang! 2.6 at 02:15. 30g carbs and back to sleep until 07:30 when I woke with a 3.4. BI was obviously working even harder than I had been!

Not a happy camper this morning! I expect to feel the effects as the day goes on.

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

CurlyWurly, hope you don't feel too bad today, I felt lousy yesterday, headache and washed out (probably more cos I didn't sleep properly maybe?). How do others feel after a big nighttime hypo? I always feel worse than a daytime one, probably cos I often don't treat as I'm asleep and my liver has to kick in, whereas I treat daytime ones.

Without a CGM alarm do others manage to wake up? I normally do, but often after when I'm coming up.

As the title says, all this rubbish gets me down, really into my fitness, but find it sooo difficult. If I lower background and find I can't ride the bike (weather/family gets in the way) or don't push myself hard enough I run high, but if I don't lower my background I am constantly eating!

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
99 posts

I had a massive hypo last week. Had a pizza and nachos for dinner at 8pm then at 1030pm I was 16.3 which threw me so I corrected thinking It was way too high and I had calculated the nachos asll wrong. Anyway woke at 0140am at 1.3 so literally gorged myself and took some qa reduced for what I had eaten which again I calulated wrong and was 2.3 when I woke at 0600am. My bloods were fine all day then but I felt terrible. Tired and a dry mouth and a bit of a headache.

CurlyWurly DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
15 posts

I'm actually OK today - tired and an unquenchable thirst although sugars seem to be ok, sitting around 5.5 until I had a McDonalds for breakfast so I'm still on a bit of a spike from that (10.6 just now). I suffer more if I've been high during the night if I'm honest - that always leaves me absolutely gubbed the following day.

I wake up if my sugar levels drop during the night thankfully - usually somewhere around the 3.4-3.9 range. Not sure what happened last night though. My body did wake me up though so I was aware - the thing that persuaded me out of bed to go and sort it though was my cat playfully biting my toe!

Bmumma49 DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
3 posts

I feel drained after nightime hypos x

GemmaNicholls 1 post

What I find the most upsetting is going hypo just before bed, I always manage to clean my teeth and then find I'm low. I don't know if it's the hypo or the tiredness but sometimes I get really upset and I have been known to cry before now. Night time hypos are usually OK as long as I don't have to get up at 5AM for work but these are the worst for over eating for me, what I really hate is not being able to sleep all the way through the night because my BG is high and this has made me wake up needing a wee! It's probably the biggest part of Diabetes that makes me feel like I'm not a normal person!

Amanda Wilby
Befordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

Oh Gosh! I have been on a right downer the past week with my Diabetes. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 34 years and usually very positive about it but have hit a wall the past week possibly as getting older at 48 years makes you re evaluate and think about what the future may have in store as I've had diabetes so long now and hear so many negative comments. Thank you guys and dolls.x you have reminded me that we diabetics are all facing the same or very similar problems with our diabetic control amidst working lives and family tribulations. We are doing really well all things considered and yes the odd hypo throws me out of kilter too and is most likely the reason I have been struggling the past week. A couple of hypos and then over eating and compensating insulin has resulted in swinging blood sugar which we all know can result in depressive mood. So thank you all for your comments on hypos you have actually helped me climb out the hole . I feel positive again and today is another day. I'm back in control literally. X

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Depending on how low I go, I can feel really rubbish after a night time hypo. I thought I had excellent hypo awareness, but having had a CGM on for the last 6 weeks, I'm totally shocked at how many hypos I am having without symptoms. I think I've just recently lost my symptoms, so I'll have to raise my target BGs for 6 weeks to try and get them back. Yuck. Not looking forward to that. I hate being high.