WARNING - ensure you have a valid medical exemption certificate

9 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jimski DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
3 posts

Hi all,

This is a warning to all those out there who do not have a valid NHS medical exemption certificate for their diabetes.

I recently received a Penalty Charge Notice for £124.15 from the Business Services Authority for not having a valid medical exemption certificate. Sadly I was never aware I required one, and certainly haven't needed one since I was diagnosed. The pharmacists I have used over the years have never asked, GPs have never offered and the Business Services Authority has never sent me a letter to warn me these were being actively pursued. On speaking to the BSA, I obviously am able to get an exemption certificate but it will only apply for 30 days prior to receipt. The prescription I am being penalised for is for September so getting a letter on 24th November 2014 is of little use.

Seems a little harsh.

There are others reporting this too through the thread below, where I have contributed too:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/prescription-fine.68038/

Any advice on whether this charge can be avoided would be appreciated too, it would be well worthwhile the surgeries etc... sending out a mailshot to those with chronic illnesses to ensure they get their certificates.

Regards
Jimski

Davey54 DAFNE Graduate
Heart of Birmingham PCT
8 posts

Hi Jimski,
Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting free prescriptions. You need a FP92A Application Form which you can from your GP, they have to fill it in and you sign it and send it off. Wait a couple of weeks to get the card.
It looks like a credit card and it's called a Medical Exemption Certificate and it's valid for 5 years.
This scheme is run by NHS Help With Health Costs.
e-mail; [email protected]
Tel; 0300 3301341 - Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm / Saturday 9am to 3pm
I've been a diabetic for nearly 40 years and have never had to pay for prescriptions. In all that time until last December I've received a declaration form to sign return to them then I get a new certificate back. Last December I got a reminder letter and I did has I've described above. My advise, Jimski, go to your GP to get this sorted out. GOOD LUCK!

Jimski DAFNE Graduate
3 posts

Thanks Davey.

I did just that today and it took less than 5 mins, should receive it next week. I'd encourage anybody who does not have one to do the same!!

Neville COL DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
23 posts

The exemption certificate is one of the best kept secrets of becoming a type one diabetic, and when I was first diagnosed, 42 years ago, although I was told I got the insulin free, the certificate bit was nt made clear until I spoke to a friendly local chemist! Hopefully now with more joined up diabetic care than there was in the past, the unfortunate circumstance you have found yourself in will occur less often!

BeccyB DAFNE Graduate
NHS Birmingham East and North
50 posts

Well I've got one but had no idea they were only valid for 5 years?! Like I'm going to be cured any day soon!

I'd best get it sorted - thanks for the heads up

Davey54 DAFNE Graduate
Heart of Birmingham PCT
8 posts

Jimski said:
Thanks Davey.

I did just that today and it took less than 5 mins, should receive it next week. I'd encourage anybody who does not have one to do the same!!

Glad to help Jimski. Remember this, anything that saves us money but costs them money, they'll NEVER tell us about it. Call me cynical if you like, but that's been my experience.

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

I think it might depend on doctor and/or chemist as my experience was quite different, as is often the case.

When first diagnosed (in England) I believe my doctor reminded me to apply. And when I went to collect my initial prescription the day after release from hospital the chemist said to show my card when it arrived.

Excellent service from small local chemist who I always used before moving to Scotland.

Jimski DAFNE Graduate
3 posts

I think I may just be out of touch in that case, I went for an eye test yesterday, fully expecting to have to reclaim the cost off my employer. However, the optician got me to sign a form and he informed me that diabetics are entitled to a free eye test every year...that was news to me!

I tend to agree with Davey in that these things are not publicised (or at least not in my experience) but having said that I am not sure I have been very pro-active in finding out what I am entitled to, or even keep up with current policy.

I do think the NHS is fabulous, two children safely delivered and the level of care I get at King's for my diabetes is incredible, along with my GP too. Anything that redirects the money from people bucking the system and is used for other services is a good thing, in this case, and a growing number of others, I feel they are just being a little too heavy handed in not giving you a chance to produce a back dated medical exemption certificate from your GP.

Pepsi DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
8 posts

Hi, I collected my prescription yesterday, and as normal, ticked the box to say i have a valid exemption certificate. The pharmacist told me that they have to tick a box on the prescription if they havent seen proof of exemption, and presumably this is then checked by the NHS Business Services Authority. Luckily I found mine hidden away in the depths of my handbag, and its valid until 2019. She also gave me a helpful booklet entitled "claiming free prescriptions?"
You also need to be aware if you have a child/young adult!, who is diabetic, who is going to be 19 shortly, as they will need to apply for an exemption certificate as well.