Breaks at work

7 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

greycat DAFNE Graduate
Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust
1 post

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem.
I currently work 6 hours a day and my employer does not allow breaks unless you work 7 hours plus.
Does anyone know what the legal position is regarding time off for insulin dependant staff?

Thank you in advance

CurlyWurly DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
15 posts

I'm fairly sure that a break is a legal requirement for any shift longer than 6 hours - diabetic or not.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_rights_at_work_e/basic_rights_at_work.htm#Health_and_safety

The links says that if you're working more than 6 hours then you're entitled to a 20 mins break.

Good luck with it.

BeccyB DAFNE Graduate
NHS Birmingham East and North
50 posts

It's possible there is something in the disability discrimination legislation that would cover it. I'd suggest contacting citizens advice as they will have people who know about those rules.

Good luck

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

I'm not an expert.. but there's something called the European Working Time Directive which concerns shift lengths and breaks etc. (I'm aware of this because it caused mayhem in the residential child-care sector when it was brought in), and in the disability side of things I believe that employers are required to make "reasonable adjustments" to accommodate the needs of people with disabilities. Good luck!

Neville COL DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
23 posts

I work for the railways, office based, and the rule in that industry, on a 7hr 24 min shift, used to be a 20 min break between the 3rd and 5th hour.However since privatisation, and the fact that some companies now have a more flexible shift pattern for office based shift workers probably means that that principle has now fallen into disuse! I now work a 12 hour shift pattern 3 days a week, with no 'formal' breaks, which can be challenging especially on night shifts, but the nature of my job means that I can fit in injections, blood tests, and sandwiches as appropriate.....

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I thought you should have a break with a 5 hour shift.............

pretty sure..........

I would be happy to work from 12-5 for example without a break as its in between meals, so there would be no special requirement for insulin dependent diabetics........

shifts outside of these hours may cause problems, but I wouldn't expect an employer to care........

what hours do you work?

do you need to eat in that time.......?

hypo DAFNE Graduate 18 posts

Hi Greycat regarding your breaks my daughter works in HR and specializes in employment law I have asked her about your position and this is the answer I got anyone working more than 6hours is entitled to a 20min paid break but as you are insulin dependant and have had the condition for over 12 months special rules apply and you should get breaks if required and this is usually every 4 hours hope this info helps I myself don't work anymore but when I did I was always allowed breaks when I needed them I was obviously very fortunate.