QA ratios on the weekend

8 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Mike_p DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
4 posts

Hi all
I seem to have spotted a pattern in my BG that would suggest I need to use higher QA ratios at the weekend than during the week! Because my BGs are usually higher from Friday evening to Sunday, and corrective doses seem to do not as much as expected.
This sounds a bit bizarre, has anyone else noticed such a thing ?
I can only put it down to different foods being eaten at weekends, different meal times, different activities being undertaken ...
or maybe its just my CP counting of different foods eaten at the weekend is really bad and I need to tighten up on it..
thanks

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

We are all the same Mike_p.
And we all appear to get round it in different ways!
Used to be for me that I had less exercise at a weekend. Not now though as I try to keep active all week.
Regards
Garry

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Patterns like these are common for the reasons you suggested................different foods and activity levels............

as your BG is higher at the weekend more insulin is required.........would you say your less active at the weekend?

on the pump I would deal with this by increasing my background dose or basal rate..........this should be something for you to consider and it will allow you to keep your insulin/carb ratios the same, which in turn make it easier to return to the normal regime during the week.....

I can see my self slapping on 15% more...........

have a chat with your team and see what they say..............;)

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

About a year ago I was able to semi-retire, and went from full-time work to working two days one week and three the next. Up 'til then I'd found that my ratios etc. were pretty consistent all week (including weekends). The fairly radical change of lifestyle initially seemed to throw things out, and it took a few weeks to sort out - with changes needed to both QA ratios and to BI amounts. As my life now has far less routine about it, like you I'm finding I have to pay more attention to what is going on and not worry too much about the fact that some days require a different, non-routine approach. But that's the beauty of DAFNE - you can respond to whatever your body, lifestyle or activity tells you is happening.

Stew

Neville COL DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
23 posts

I work 12 hour shift pattern basically 3 days on 3/4 days off dependent on Sunday working requirements: I m finding that the shifts that need most attention to dosage are the odd night turns that I have to do, and on the days off, I get better control if I actually do something rather than sitting around lol! As for weekends, my results always have been a bit variable: at least now I know how to deal with it....! Smile

landylara DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
14 posts

Hi
Yes I have the same happen . While working and on my feet all day I only need 1:1 but evening and weekends I need 2:1.

Mike_p DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
4 posts

ok thanks all for some very useful feedback and comments, I will go away and firstly try upping my BI rate over next weekend, and see what happens!
its also nice to hear back from people who have experienced similar things.
cheers
Mike

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Upping your Background Insulin for the weekend is unlikely to help and you may find that it upsets your Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday results as most of us find BI changes are notoriously slow to show an impact.
Far better to adjust your QA insulin ratios for the weekend.
Regards
Garry