diet

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Trish Skidmore
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
18 posts

Has anyone who's type 1 managed to lose weight successfully without it affecting there HBA1C and hypos.

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
34 posts

Hi,

I lost few kg since last May and my last HBA1c which was done in September was 6.9. I didn't have major hypos, maybe few, actually what was strange being high rather than low. I just cut down my carbs and of course injecting less QA to avoid hypos.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I lost half a stone on slimming world and due to types of food items, the carbs were small and low GI and so naturally my BG became much easier to manage..........

I have still to see if that effect had an impact, will find out on Monday, but I would expect it to, and I have has no more hypos than the usual activity provoked ones......

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

I'm playing the long game.. Over the last couple of months or so I have made a conscious attempt to eat less - particularly cutting down on potato, pasta and rice portions (to about two thirds of previous portions). I've also started eating more fish - although fresh fish is really expensive, frozen fish (including some in interesting sauces) is much less so. We've also replaced chocolate with a fridge full of sugar-free jellies to have as snacks. I'm finding that this less radical approach to changing diet is fairly painless, and has had no apparent impact on my (pretty good) BG control..

I choose not to weigh myself, but in a couple of months my belt is now fastened two notches smaller, and at my last six month review I was over two kg lighter, after a run of continuous weight increases. Seems to work for me.

Stew