Parliamentary Inquiry into Education and Support for Self Management

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

The All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Diabetes is conducting a targeted, year-long investigation into the state of diabetes education, learning and support.

The APPG is calling for case studies from people living with diabetes to better understand different types of learning and support available, existing gaps in service and to identify reasons for low uptake when structured education is offered. The submission form (which must be completed in Word format) for can be found here:

APPG Submission Form

Details of where the submission should be sent are included in the document which opens from the link. The deadline for submitting case studies and written evidence is 30th November 2014.

The DAFNE User Action Group (DUAG), of which I am chairman, asks everyone to take this opportunity to influence the thinking of Parliament on the value and benefits of the DAFNE course. At a time when the NHS is facing increasing pressures on costs we are seeing the DAFNE service under threat at a number of centres and user voices are the best way of getting parliamentarians to listen to what's wanted. This includes those of us who have already been trained, and can provide feedback on the course but may also have requirements for refesher courses or additional sessions. In addition it's a great opportunity for those who currently have no access to DAFNE in their local area to press for wider availability of the course across the whole of the UK.

Finally, if you choose to contribute to this survey please consider whether you are also willing to share your input with DUAG. We are frequently asked by the DAFNE Executive for feedback from users and so this gives an opportunity to meet that need as well. If you're happy to share your input, please also send the file to [email protected].

Many thanks and here's to making a big impact on the APPG.

109 posts

Time is running out for submissions which must be made before the end of the month. Please take the time to tell the parliamentarians about the impact that DAFNE has had for you. Thanks.

mstarosta DAFNE HCP
Royal Hobart Hospital, Hobart, Tasmania
5 posts

Hi, is there any relevance to Australia for completing a submission or is this really only relevant to the UK?

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

You can also get a copy of the form on this thread Case_study_guidance_form.docx which is hosted on this site and doesn't use tracking information. Not that I'm suspicious but I don't like Diabetes UK tracking my web movements, but hey maybe it's jsut me ;-)

109 posts

mstarosta said:
Hi, is there any relevance to Australia for completing a submission or is this really only relevant to the UK?

This is an enquiry into Structured Education for diabetics in the UK. So any input you gave would not be directly relevant. However, if you'd like to respond on how the DAFNE course has been transferred and welcomed outside the UK it could be helpful. Who knows?