BG diary help please (2) (mum2westiesGill diary)

29 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

mum2westiesGill 502 posts [Shared diary only visible when logged in]

"BG diary help please (mum2westiesGill diary)"

Carrying on from my above topic I've finally gone for it & split my lantus/BI on Wed 15/10. I was taking 14u at 10pm ish but I'm now taking 7u at 10pm ish & 7u at 10am ish.

Any help in identifying trends or any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
37 posts

May I suggest that you change your injection sites i.e. try arms and legs and give your stomach a rest. Is your stomach lumpy?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Now you have went to a 7-7 split................you will need to test the change..........remember Lantus takes 2-3 days to kick in, so once those 3 days is up, test the evening 7 with no food or quick acting insulin working at bed time.........take a before bed, ideally a 3 am then a morning.......

post the results..........

initial results show a rise in BG in the morning.........to quite high numbers, which must be making you feel rough........so its likely you need more overnight and into the morning, which would be a common pattern if you consider the dawn phenomenon effects.......

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

Hi sjohno,

sjohno said:
May I suggest that you change your injection sites i.e. try arms and legs and give your stomach a rest. Is your stomach lumpy?

Thank you for your reply.
I prefer to inject into my stomach & I do always use different sites. My stomach isn't lumpy. If I inject into my arms I always bruise. If I injected into my legs/thighs then that would be too near to the buttocks where I do my background insulin. I inject QA into my stomach (different sites) because that's where it absorbs the fastest.

Hi NRB,

novorapidboi26 said:
Now you have went to a 7-7 split................you will need to test the change..........remember Lantus takes 2-3 days to kick in, so once those 3 days is up, test the evening 7 with no food or quick acting insulin working at bed time.........take a before bed, ideally a 3 am then a morning.......

post the results..........

initial results show a rise in BG in the morning.........to quite high numbers, which must be making you feel rough........so its likely you need more overnight and into the morning, which would be a common pattern if you consider the dawn phenomenon effects.......

Thanks for your reply.

Thank you for reminding me to test the change & also how to do this. Yes I will post the results.

I've also seen rises on waking. Also at other times of the day too.

"take a before bed, ideally a 3 am then a morning"

Last night's (21/10) basal test

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

your results from last night into this morning is promising.............you only dropped by 1.6..............so that's officially holding steady........

the previous night you actually went up from 5.8 [even with correction] to 16.4.............why did you correct at 5.1? a lot of folk would be wanting to take on carbs through fear of hypo........taking on insulin here means a basal test isn't giving accurate results...........it may be that you went low overnight and your liver has responded giving you the high........

if you can repeat last nights conditions, which was dinner at 19:00-20:00, try and stay away from large amounts of carbs and carbs that may still be digesting longer than normal, don't take any correction before bed if you can, then a 3am and morning..........another 2 days should confirm whats going on and what adjustments you need to do.......

good job.....

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

Hi NRB,
Thanks for your help.

Have I done the diary entry wrong? At the 5.1 reading I ate 18g of carbs with no bolus.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

no, I had mistaken the CP values for your QA values, so that's my fault..........

the large rise then is likely due to that 1.8 CPs, after you get your dose right for basal here, you can start to investigate your insulin/carb ratio for snacks at bed time.........obviously you had eaten something as 5.1 was a tad low for your liking, but in the future you could try something smaller maybe......

hopefully though you will find your right basal dose overnight anyway and you can start to become more confident going to bed on target.........;)

2 more days of my diary.

Any help in identifying trends or any other help ie with targets & ratios will be greatly appreciated.

Using Accu-Chek Avia Expert meter
- current targets:
for everything 4 - 7 - this corrects me to about 5.5
bedtime 8 - 12 - this corrects me to 10

TIA