Change of routine and injection times

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

DianeW DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
115 posts

Hi, any advice welcome. I take Lantus before breakfast and before bed. I am flying abroad (no change in time zones) meaning that I will go to bed about 9pm and be up at 3am. I normally take my bedtime dose about 11pm and morning one about 8am. My flight is at 6am. I am thinking the best thing is to take the Lantus at 9pm but take extra to cover me from then up to the approximate time we get to the hotel mid morning, which would save me having to inject at 3am. If I work out how much Lantus I take an hour I should be able to calculate the extra. Hope this makes sense.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I would personally avoid any complicated timing and just inject at 9pm instead of your usual 11pm, then inject at 6am when you fly out, that way your getting the same amount of insulin over the same amount of time.......

when you get to your destination, in theory your 6am dose will run out 2 hours earlier than normal, in reality it may still be working, or may have ran out long before then, regardless, you can just go back to your normal timing and compensate with the higher/lower BG with QA or CPs....

enjoy your time away.......

Gemsa DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
20 posts

Diane, as lantus can stay working for more than 24 hours adjusting like this by adding extra on to extend time between injections is not advisable. I got a bit confused by the times you have listed - flight arrives at 6am and just for the night of the flight your bedtime & wake up will be 2 hours earlier than usual - where does the 3am bit come from?

If your bedtime and wake up on flight day will just be 2 hours different then perhaps the day or two days before you can take doses an hour earlier than usual (no adjusting to size should be needed, but do make sure you have a snack with you post injection just in case), and on the day then you can increase to 2 hours earlier. Then do in reverse (presumably your wake up and bed times will be later whilst on holiday?).

But if there is no difference in the time zones between UK and holiday destination I'd suggest it will probably just be easier to keep injecting at your usual times (actual clock times rather than activity/eating/bed times) even if that includes one wake up at a time that you'd rather not whilst flying. The stress of worrying whether you did the maths right and which times you should be doing what might be worse than just doing it at an inconvenient time once or twice.

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I think the '3am bit' is the time you will be getting up so that you can get to the airport and check-in at 4am.

I always make sure my BGs are fairly high when I fly anywhere - the last thing you want is a hypo at an airport, or worse still, on the plane. I test my BGs more frequestly as well.