Welfare?

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Teanosugar DAFNE Graduate
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
25 posts

Hope nobody minds me posting this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/killed-benefits-cuts-starving-soldier-3923771

I don't know all the facts, but I wondered if anyone has any thoughts because this is hardly the first time I've read about people dying on the welfare state. I'm not wanting to generate divisive political rants, but it seems to me that if you are disabled or have a long term condition then you're up against it if you lose your job. As someone with type 1, this isn't a great prospect.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I read about this............

it was terrible........I don't believe his dying of ketoacidosis was down to him not having money, it was because he didn't take his insulin....

its very likely that he stopped taking it because he didn't want to go low with no food, but if he was on MDI, then he wouldn't have had to stop his insulin, but I also believe he wouldn't have been on MDI but a mixed twice a day one.......

so was it down to the welfare system, no, it was down to the healthcare professionals not giving him the support he needed, or was it? did he attend clinics? did he take care of himself.....?

I have been exactly in this situation, still employed but my situation meant I had literally no money for any food for a few months, I stopped my mix insulin and lost a lot of weight and was ill.......

there is a lot of unknowns in this case, but ultimately it is very sad and not a nice way to go that's for sure.....