Pizza, chinese, indian....

19 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

Pizza, chinese, indian.... when eating any of these who splits doses & how long after starting to eat do you do the 2nd dose?

I asked who because I know we're all different.

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
34 posts

Hi,

I think for these kind of food you might need to adjust your QA insulin rather than the BI. Some Indian's curries/ sauces are high in sugar. I am usually high after an Indian meal such as the butter chicken.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

When I was injecting, between 30 minutes and an hour usually seen me OK, most of the time, but then there were some times were it just didn't work.........

I only really found the need to split with pizzas etc, Indians and Chinese never really needed it, as long as I got my insulin in about 30-45 minutes before hand I was OK.......

but as we all know, you need to ascertain your own personal strategy for foods like these..... Very Happy

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
99 posts

I try and stay away from Chinese and Indian food because i just can't seem to get it right. Wake up 16 or 17 despite going to bed at around 5.0-6.0. By spliting doses what do people mean please?

Pizzas i am fine as in take the carbs needed matched with the qa.

Ryder DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
6 posts

I'm the opposite. Pizzas just destroy me. Can never seem to get it right. Just graduated from daphne today and will attempt split doses but I haven't done Chinese or Indian yet since carb counting but will just need to review and record to see what affects these could have on me personally to assist to find what works and what doesn't.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Rafa,

Splitting the dose is all about trying to accommodate the rush of glucose that will be absorbed much later than normal due to the high fat content delaying the digestion....

Its quite difficult to get right consistently....

Pump users can give some insulin up front then the remainder given over the next few hours which is helpful....

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

Splitting is simply taking your calculated insulin dose in two or more separate injections over a period of time, rather than all at once in a single injection.

Gareth H DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
12 posts

on the course they recommended splitting the dose for things like pizza/kebabs where the carbs are likely to be covered in grease! I am about to have pizza for the first time since the course so hoping splitting works well Smile

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

Good luck, and hopefully it will work first time! But... please don't be disheartened if it doesn't, and certainly don't be put off the challenge of eating what you want (my approach is to do my best, be happy when I get it right, and remember that I know how to correct when I don't!).

Gareth H DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
12 posts

it kind of worked lol. Still went low so i guess that i misinterpreted their carb amounts or they misprinted! I also had nachos with them which they do not print the carbs for so it made it a bit difficult. But i got through it and this morning was sat on a 5.3 so i am happy enough!