My BGs - lots of drops here

22 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I haven't uploaded readings for a long time now, but just thought I would post yesterdays for a laugh...... Very Happy

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

Thanks for sharing NB you put me to shame with my diary Evil or Very Mad

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Wednesday and Thursday look quite good. If that keeps looking stable, then you may want to stay as you are. By the way, could you change your notation a little, so that if for example, you are high at dinner time, and are taking 4 units to cover the evening meal, and a couple of units to bring down the high BGs, you write 4+2 in the QA field? And if you are only taking a corrective dose and not having any carbs, then something like 0+2 is good. It just helps to see what you were taking for any carbs, and what you were taking for corrections. Thanks.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

mum2westiesGill said:
Thanks for sharing NB you put me to shame with my diary Evil or Very Mad

I have had a good bout of readings lately as I am on the slimming world diet with the misses, so less insulin going in, at least 20 units a day, but the carbs have been just as much though, 200-250g, so I don't know why really......the slimming world is a lot less fat and probably much slower digested/absorbed foods

Hi Warwick
Re the entering the correction doese sperately is a little bit difficult with my meter. I use the accu-chek aviva adviser meter which tells me seperately how many units are required for correction & how many units are needed for the carbs. Once I press confirm it just tells me how many units to inject. Once that's done however, there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to tell you again what the split was between carbs and correction so I can't always remember all of the correction doses.

mum2westiesGill 502 posts [Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Another 3 more days of mg BGs. Hmm what to do. 1. There's a rise usually between dinner & bedtime. 2. BGs are dropping a lot between bedtime and fasting. And advice will be considered. Thank you in advance.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
422 posts

Yes. I agree about the rise between dinner and bed. I think it is worth trying to split your dose and seeing if that stops the rise. Once you have fully split, you may find that you need to increase your basal insulin a bit to cover the extra required to keep you stable between dinner and bed.

I think that the Abbot Insulinx records carbs along with the insulin dose it recommends, and any over-rides/corrections you have made to it in the form "Dose for carbs" + "Dose for correction". However, like you, I use an Accu-Chek (in my case the Expert) which records QA taken, but not split out into what QA was for ingested carbs, and what QA was taken for correcting. In terms of inputting into the diary, it just makes it easier when reviewing to identify whether ratios are good or need tweaking.

Yes. I agree about the rise between dinner and bed. I think it is worth trying to split your dose and seeing if that stops the rise. Once you have fully split, you may find that you need to increase your basal insulin a bit to cover the extra required to keep you stable between dinner and bed.

- Yes I might try a split & see what happens

I think that the Abbot Insulinx records carbs along with the insulin dose it recommends, and any over-rides/corrections you have made to it in the form "Dose for carbs" + "Dose for correction". However, like you, I use an Accu-Chek (in my case the Expert) which records QA taken, but not split out into what QA was for ingested carbs, and what QA was taken for correcting. In terms of inputting into the diary, it just makes it easier when reviewing to identify whether ratios are good or need tweaking.

- I also use the Accu-chek Aviva Expert meter. Do you have any suggestions for how I could input QA & corrections into the diary separately?

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
422 posts

I just tend to add corrections at the end of each day while I remember why I was making corrections :-)

mum2westiesGill 502 posts [Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Can anyone see any trends?