DAFNE and Employers

7 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Luggerz 10 posts

Just wondered how peoples employers reacted to requests for time off to go on your DAFNE course. At Russells Hall Hospital were I go we do our course which possible isn't DAFNE as such but similar over one Saturday and then 4 Thursday afternoons spread over a month then two follow up meetings in the afternoon one month after the course then two months later.

I just wondered how your employers reacted? Did you get the time off as sick leave like a normal clinic visit? Did you have to take it off as holiday or make the time back up? Interested in this as myself and another college at work have done the course at Russells Hall and we both had to make up half the time we had off. But it took a lot of stuff to get. What did others find esp as the DAFNE course is done in a one week block?

Perhaps DAFNE could do with writing a letter setting out a business case for itself for employers advising better control therefore less chance of complications and clinic vists so time off work.

Marc

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

i got full time off - no problem

Luggerz 10 posts

Karl

But was that as paid leave or as part of your annual holiday entitlement?

Marc Lungley 2072

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

Of the 9 on my course 2 retired 2 unemployed 1 full time mum the rest - 2 worked for Social Services - 1 Local health Authority and me small to medium local company - we all got the time off - paid - not part of holiday entitlement.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Marc, the letter is a good idea which is why DAFNE DO have a letter that people wanting to go on the course can use. I split the time for the course between my employer and myself. They paid me two days and I took three as holiday.
So anyone wanting to do a DAFNE Course ask your DAFNE Educator for a letter yo give to your employer. Others I'm afraid you will just have to ask your hospital. One of the advantages of DAFNE is that there IS evidence to back up the claims of reduced complications and better management and so less time off. With PCT invented courses this is harder to prove, although any education/training is definately better than none ! I guess at the end of the day it depends on yuor employer more than anything else.

Lizzie DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
87 posts

My employer was really good, I got it as special leave using the DAFNE letter.

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I showed my employer the course letter and after the HR department researched a bit more about DAFNE, I got the okay for 3 special leave days if I agreed to take the rest as holiday. I agreed.

One thing that annoyed me though was the fact the manager who gave me the okay for special leave had to ask me why I had not asked sooner - I can't help not knowing about it! ¬_¬