High in the morning

7 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
34 posts

Hi,

I can't find any explanation for my high levels in the morning (between 12 to 16), as my BG's levels before bed are within the targets (between 5 and 7). Any ideas?? Do I need to increase my night BI??

Thanks

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

I think you might need a bit more information, especially a "during night" check or two. This will show whether your overnight BGs are on a steady climb or, perhaps, shoot up through a dawn phenomenon. Once you're clear about that, you're in a better position to decide whether it's a BI issue. Good luck!

Stew

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
34 posts

Thanks Stew for your reply. For few nights I did what you suggested, last night for example around 1:30 am my BG was 4.7 and I had 0.5 CP. This morning I was 12 and I had 1.5 correction of QA and three hours later I was 17 even though I had no CPs at all. But will keep checking for the next few days and decide if I need to increase my night BI. Very Happy

Muna

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

sounds like the dawn phenomenon, or at least its partially responsible.........

make sure your background dose is holding you steady from bed till 3 am...........

you cant stop dawn phenomenon, but you can tackle it by getting up as early as possible and getting food in your stomach as soon as you can, this will tell the liver its assistance is no longer required......

when you woke at 1:30am at 4.7, did you feel low.....? a 4.7 is ideal..........what was your BG before bed that night.......

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
34 posts

For some nights especially If I am not working the following day, I stay up as late as 2:00, so I check my sugar then. On that night around 1:30am I was 4.7 which as you said was Ideal and I was 4.3 at 9:10pm the day before.

I did another check, today around 2:45am I was 6.1, again I was awake till that late, then at 7:30am I was 9.1. Does the sleeping patterns effect my BG levels??? Because this is not usual for me to stay up till late.

Thanks

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Sleeping patterns will effect your BG levels I suppose as there will be different levels of hormones swimming about......

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
34 posts

Thanks Very Happy