Workplace Injections

14 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Teanosugar DAFNE Graduate
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
25 posts

Type 1 since I was 13 years old; now 31. This is the mountain out of the molehill I'm probably making...

I work an office job, wear office clothes and take a packed lunch to work. I don't mind testing my blood and injecting in front of people, and I normally eat at my desk while I browse the internet. I always inject in my tummy at work as this is the most discrete and nobody bats an eyelid. However, I need to give my tummy a rest for a bit. I think I have those horrible bumps full of insulin that cause random hypos. The problem is I now need to inject in my buttocks, arms or legs for the next couple of months (I hate injecting in my legs though!). Anyway. I can't really do this at my desk as it's not discrete. I'd either have to pull my pants down or partly take off my shirt in a busy office environment. However, I don't want to go to the toilet to inject myself because this doesn't seem hygienic. The toilets are a disgrace in my office so there is a risk of catching something. I am going to ask my manager if there is anywhere I can go to do an injection in private. Does this sound far fetched or unreasonable? I don't expect them to accommodate and I won't kick up a fuss if they don't, but I think I'll at least ask. I know the obvious answer is to go to the toilet, but this doesn't seem right to me. Even if they were clean, it just seems like something that should be avoided because of hygiene issues.

Does anyone out there experience similar problems with injecting in the workplace, college, in public etc.? I take it some environments are better than others for this. What do people think to injecting in a rotten toilet cubicle?

Thanks.

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

I work in a school and occasionally need to change my pump during school hours, I was directed towards the toilets but told them this was unsuitable as not hygienic for using sterile needles and insulin etc....they eventually found a room in the school that is lockable and doesn't have a glass panel on the door! The room is used for storage, however they have put a table in for me and have moved some of the storage so that I can access the sink (which was already in the room) easier.
I really wouldn't be happy injecting in a rotten toilet cubicle, is it not possible to roll trouser leg up to inject in leg (I did this when on MDI)?

25 posts

Hi Vicky. It's reassuring to know that you've raised the same objections as me regarding the toilet cubicle. I didn't know if diabetics are just expected to just accept this as being reasonable.

Unfortunately I wear office pants which are too tight to roll up so that's not really possible for me. We have spare rooms in the office but, as far as I'm aware, people are free to walk in and out of them at any point (for example to make a telephone call) so there wouldn't be guaranteed privacy unless they arranged something just for me. Another option would be to leave the building and inject myself which wouldn't work because I'd still face the above problems and more. I'm going to ask my manager when she's back in the office and see if I can get something arranged. However, I've got a feeling that whatever they propose won't be 100% ideal. I may need to go to another floor or something. I can't think of any reason why I should object to something like that providing it's a guarantee that I can, ahem, get my bum out and inject without feeling paranoid that someone is going to walk in on me or that I'm at risk of catching something!

It's all a bit ridiculous because it will only take me about thirty seconds to inject myself. If there are any developments then I'll report back! Smile

rick71
St Luke's General Hospital, Carlow-Kilkenny
1 post

have you tryed rotaiting arround weakly. i.e right hip 1 wk. stomac 1 wk then left hip 1 wk. this gives each area a 2wk rest at a time with no need to frighten the rest of ur staff with ur butt hanging out Shocked

25 posts

I've just been lazy for a fair few months so my stomach needs a total rest, but in the future I'll mix it up once I haven't used my stomach for a couple of months. I've actually asked my employers now and they have a sterilized room I can use which they sorted out for a person who had to change her colostomy bag every so often. She's left now so problem's solved. Very Happy

On a separate but similar note note my right ring finger is about ready to drop off because I haven't changed that in years when doing blood samples. Fortunately switching to another finger isn't quite as embarrassing...

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

Glad issue at work is sorted Very Happy

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

Probably not a suggestion you want to read..........when I'm in company I inject through my clothes, and so don't have to reveal anything to anyone. Yes, not hygienic either, but for the few occasions I do it, I've never had any problems. Shocked ..............and my needles are long enough!

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I've mainly used my stomach as well. When I started doing another background dose, I did try doing a buttock injection as well at my desk by putting my coat over my lap and making sure I was not in full view of anyone coming near my desk (thankfully I was in a corner bit)... but I eventually started injecting it into my stomach along side my meal dose.

I'm lucky that the toilets are huge rooms in my workplace so I'm not so worried to pop in and stab my leg quick but that is more time consuming than staying at my desk. I don't even touch the toilet or even the floor; aim to use only my pockets or bag to put items like my one-use needle cap down only.

I'll never inject through my clothing. It may be convenient in practice but you run the risk of injecting threads into your skin that won't be easily removable from what my HCPs told me. It's even worse/more likely if you're someone who fails to change their needle every time as well. Changing every time will help minimise damage caused by injecting generally too as you won't be injecting a blunt, curled needle, as shown here:

Neville COL DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
23 posts

Luckily as a recent graduate, my stomach is in good condition! I have in the past used arms/legs, but the leg I save for when I m home! Luckily my work clothes consist, generally, of a polo or short sleeved shirt which does give a little flexibility.... ! Cool

EPS DAFNE Graduate
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
3 posts

Teanosugar said:
Type 1 since I was 13 years old; now 31. This is the mountain out of the molehill I'm probably making...

I work an office job, wear office clothes and take a packed lunch to work. I don't mind testing my blood and injecting in front of people, and I normally eat at my desk while I browse the internet. I always inject in my tummy at work as this is the most discrete and nobody bats an eyelid. However, I need to give my tummy a rest for a bit. I think I have those horrible bumps full of insulin that cause random hypos. The problem is I now need to inject in my buttocks, arms or legs for the next couple of months (I hate injecting in my legs though!). Anyway. I can't really do this at my desk as it's not discrete. I'd either have to pull my pants down or partly take off my shirt in a busy office environment. However, I don't want to go to the toilet to inject myself because this doesn't seem hygienic. The toilets are a disgrace in my office so there is a risk of catching something. I am going to ask my manager if there is anywhere I can go to do an injection in private. Does this sound far fetched or unreasonable? I don't expect them to accommodate and I won't kick up a fuss if they don't, but I think I'll at least ask. I know the obvious answer is to go to the toilet, but this doesn't seem right to me. Even if they were clean, it just seems like something that should be avoided because of hygiene issues.

Does anyone out there experience similar problems with injecting in the workplace, college, in public etc.? I take it some environments are better than others for this. What do people think to injecting in a rotten toilet cubicle?

Thanks.

Type 1 for 50 years and now using both 4mm penfill and conventional 8mm disposable syringes (best for rear-end sites). At work my employer was always considerate and offered a private room if I needed it. I agree that public and pub/restaurant lavatories are generally grim (it says a lot about their kitchens). However, I find the best solution is to access the dedicated 'disabled' lavatory, which tends to be little-used, spacious and has a washbasin which can be rinsed before placing any medication or equipment down. Diabetes can be classified as a disability within the Equality Act - if you really have to push it - and this places a legal obligation on employers and others to make reasonable arrangements. That said, I have never experienced a problem anywhere. Take your sharps home with you and think of the next person!