eating

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Fi_feb2014class DAFNE Graduate
Ballarat Community Health Centre, Victoria
2 posts

I'm having big issues with eating things I really shouldn't be,and over eating these things, I seem to have moments of binge eating allmost,am over it, am get bigger, but just seem to keep going.
any ideas anyone willing to share.
Regards Fi

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Hey Fi,

I'd recommend having a chat to a dietician about this. They can make recommendations based on your current diet, and suggest ways that would hopefully be helpful.

Are you on a Chronic Disease Management Plan? Through Medicare, you can get a doctor to arrange a Team Health Care Plan which involves seeing 5 medical professionals per year at a reduced cost. Dieticians are one of those so that you don't need to pay the full cost of seeing one. (You can see other health care professionals too at reduced rates such as physios, podiatrists, diabetes educator etc.)

I think for you to be successful, you will need someone who can analyse your current diet, and make recommendations on how to improve that.

I personally struggle with this too. Since being diagnosed with T1 about 3.5 years ago, I've put on an extra 10 kg that doesn't want to come off, and although my diet at mealtimes is excellent, my snacking feels out of control. Part of that is that because of my numerous hypos, I end up training my body to eat when I am not hungry, and that leads to bad habits elsewhere. I am working with my endo on reducing the number of hypos I have in the hope that with reduced hypo food, I'll be able to gain some control over my snacking.

Good on you for seeking help. But please do consider discussing this with a dietician. And if you don't feel that you are getting good value from your dietician, then do feel free to change to a different one. My previous dietician was not particularly knowledgeable about diabetes, so I asked my DAFNE dietician for a recommendation, and I am much happier with the one I now use.

All the best.
Warwick.

Fi_feb2014class DAFNE Graduate
Ballarat Community Health Centre, Victoria
2 posts

Hi Warwick,
Thank you for you reply, much appreciate. I think I have more of an addiction to things I shouldn't eat, like chocolate, lollies, slices, and more chocolate and lollies, and slices, I just don't stop till it's all gone, no control what so ever, and I've never been this way. I will how ever make some inquiries as Im sure I'm on the Chronic Diease Mangement Program.
Thank you so much for your advice, sometimes helps to ask other diabetics there point of view etc. I'm off for a nice long walk to burn some unwanted fat lol.

Cheers Fi

ajay 1 post

Hi fi iv been searching all forums for someone with this problem I was diagnosed feb 2013 and have since got the worst sweet tooth I eat all things I shouldn't icecream being my major its as though I cant stop myself someone suggested to me its a psychological issue as I know I shouldn't it would seem im quite alone in this problem
Gaining weight fast
Mand