Accuchek mobile blood glucose monitor

6 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

steve o DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Barking and Dagenham)
5 posts

Does anyone use the new accu chek blood glucose monitor if so are they any good? I am thinking about getting one but would like to hear other peoples views first

Rachie Wilson 9 posts

Hi Steve

Yes I have one of the Accu Chek Mobile Meter. I think it is great as every thing is built into it. It is really easy to use. I have been on it since January and would highly recommend it.

vic demain DAFNE Graduate
Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust
87 posts

Hi Steve,

We were issued them on our course to use as part of a trial. Personally I like it, it is very convenient and saves a bit of hassle. My GP was not happy to change my repeat prescription as he thought it would be too expensive for the NHS. Would say if you can get the discount form off the website and better still if you get someone to get staff discount at Boots, it may be worthwhile. Not sure I would pay the best part of £50 for one but then I am a tight old git.

Vic.

laurals11 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
11 posts

Looks great..but I can't afford to buy so now I have to try to get one from my hospital.I use an Ascensia Breeze which has 10 test disc as handling individual strips is difficult for me and actually impossible if hypo, so that is a good reason for them to get meone. Discovered Multiclix finger pricker when on DAFNE but to have everything together looks brilliant to me.

john day DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
54 posts

Hi all.. Like Vic I was given one to pre-release trial at a dafne review last October in return for filling a response sheet for Roche.

At first I was not too keen on the meter whilst getting used to applying blood to a not easily visible vertically oriented tape rather than end of a projecting strip. Once practise sorted this (pick up the meter and operate singlehanded) the Mobile was quick and convenient and the result is there before you have put down the meter and picked up your pencil.

The software seems capable, reporting cassettes failing half way through and how many tests remaining so you don't get left short as well as enabling reminders, target ranges etc and has the infamous infra red link to upload data to Roche software.. which I have (of course) now supplanted by dafne online!

It is bulkier(12cm long and 150g) than the Aviva (9cm long and 105g incl strips & pricker) I already used so much so that the Mobile is now for home use and the Aviva, in it's neat bag, for out & about use. I checked and the readings are sufficiently close not to materially affect dosages.

I have been fortunate in that the meter was free and the local GP had no problem with the cassettes, although it took a few phone calls and most of January to get the cassette product code through the NHS procurement database!

I would definitely suggest getting one through your diabetic review process, where you have the best chance of free supply.

Cheers, John

laurals11 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
11 posts

Thanks for that info John...I will pursue. Does anyone get to try different meters at reviews? I got a One Touch Ultra Smart after checking it out online,thinking it would be great to record CHO ,activity etc without having to carry paper diary...but even at brightest I can't read screen unless in a bright room!