Type 1 Diabetes and working shifts

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

sixtall DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

Hi all .I,ve been type 1 for 27 years and worked a regular day shift pattern with very few problems until January 2009 when my employer changed my shift pattern to a double day shift ."6 -2 , 2 -10 " .Since changing I,ve had alot of hypos some disabling .I did the d.a.f.n.e course in January this year and strictly follow the guidelines they set ,but I am still having hypos ,only last week I had one at work so serious the company had to send for the paramedics to sort me out .Has anyone experienced any problems with Type 1 and working shifts , take care all .

DavidJ DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
23 posts

Hi,
I've been diabetic for almost 28 years and been working shifts for the past 17 years (days and nights). Pre DAFNE I would often work a full night shift and every test would be below 4.0 (not often, but it did happen). I did the DAFNE course in June 2009 and the change from day shift to night shift still goes wrong sometimes. Your body is not a machine and sometimes unpredictable results happen (unlike in the DAFNE handbook, when corrections work perfectly). I can get unpredictable results on days as well, so I'm not blaming working shifts or the DAFNE guidelines. Fortunately, I haven't had the paramedics out, but it can be very frustrating when you apply the rules and the complete opposite happens to what you would expect. I don't think Non Diabetics or HCP's believe you. Best Wishes Dave.