exercise and insulin sensitivity

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

pauleiken
North East Essex CCG
2 posts

I have been reading about the concept of high intensity exercise and insulin sensitivity, there apparently seems to be a positive effect of having a regime of high intensity exercise, i.e. 20 second bursts x 3, three times a week. Has any one tried this or have information about it? Insulin sensitivity is a major issue for me as, despite being on metformin, it seems to change regularly. Since starting DAPHNE, which worked really well for me, losing some 25kg of excess weight, with another 5-10 kg to get me to an ideal weight, and insulin doses falling by up to 70%. However for the past few weeks my ratios have started to increase, but with no pattern evident, with consequence of some very high readings and some hypos.

I suppose this is a two part ask, any suggestions?

DArmstrong DAFNE Graduate
Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

Hi there, it would be really useful to see your BG readings over a week or so to see patterns. I personally find excercise raises my sensitivity dramatically, i run with moderate effort on a treadmill 3 times a week plus strength training by doing yoga for an hour every week. I have never tried the intense 20 second alone type of excercise - i saw it on the horizon programme not so long ago and thought that it didn't look that enjoyable - i'd rather take my time rather than risk falling off the back of the treadmill!! Razz If i do an intense burst it is only when a really good song comes on my mp3 player! Laughing

I would strongly advise using a heart rate monitor and working out your individual zone to stay in so that you know that you are getting the most effort from your training sessions. I also use the Nike plus App on my iphone along with the Nike sensor in my shoe so that i can create personal bests - nothing like beating your PB for feeling great!

good luck and persevere with exercise - it make take a few months to get to know your body's reactions - especially important to understand that hypos can happen a few hours after exercise - so test, eat, test!! (i drink lucozade sport throughout!)

Good indepth book on exercise and sport is 'Diabetic athlete's handbook' by Sheri R. Colberg Smile