Differing hBa1c results

18 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
99 posts

Warwick said:
Excellent Rafa. Well done. That is a huge improvement and a great step towards avoiding the long term complications.

Many thanks. Gave me a great boost. Just have to keep working at it now. After DAFNE i will certainly never go back to how i treated diabetes before.

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

Had my review today and i was 59. I was 55 the last time which was my first review since DAFNE. I was a little but disappointed but the nurse and doctor were the complete opposite. The said i have to remember how far i have come in 12 months which cheered me up. Determined to try and get it down lower for the next review.

hypo DAFNE Graduate 18 posts

Hi Rafa well Im sure the doctor is please with that result even though to was a little higher than last time its still a great improvement well done

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

hypo said:
Hi Rafa well Im sure the doctor is please with that result even though to was a little higher than last time its still a great improvement well done

Thanks.

Gemsa DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
20 posts

Diane - just thought I'd mention two things:
1) during your operation was there a chance you received blood? This would obviously affect a HBA.
2) agree with the post about the differing emphasis on what timescales add up to the average. I was told that during pregnancy the blood 'refreshes' itself (whatever that means) much quicker and so that is why HBAs are done every month rather than every 3 months. I don't know if recovery from an operation would also affect the rate your blood is 'refreshing' and therefore shortening the length of time the average has come from.

At the end of the day though, you can take it with a pinch of salt. Focus on the here and now. Regardless of whatever your last HBA was, you want to be looking at your blood score today and the impact that will have on your next HBA - worrying about previous data isn't going to help with that. Operations are stressful and throws a whole load of other factors into the mix so expect a couple of bad ones but look forward instead.

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

Had my third review today since completing DAFNE in July 2013 and my HB1AC is now 6.8

Over the moon. Can't belive I didn't do DAFNE before I actually did. Has changed my whole life.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Cograts Rafa. It is always great to be told that it is under 7 :-)

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

Warwick said:
Cograts Rafa. It is always great to be told that it is under 7 :-)

Sure is. Thanks.