Pregnancy

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

shazz_5683 DAFNE Graduate
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
13 posts

Hi everyone.....
Just a quick question, I am 28yrs old and did DAFNE a year ago. I am finding it hard to get pregnant but cant find anywhere on the net about type1 diabetes and pregnancies!? What i mean is storys cases what to expect etc....

Does anyone have good or sadly bad stories so I can get a better idea??? Does having Diabetes stop you concieving as normal???

Shazz x

RachelA DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
10 posts

Hi Shazz, I am 35 and currently 7 weeks pregnant. There is a diabetic group on the babycentre website, and a pregnancy group on the diabetessupport.co.uk forum. I also found a couple of peoples stories of their pregnancies on the DUK website. Do you have a pre-pregnancy clinic at your hospital. I went to that for about a year before with their help getting my hba1c down to 7.4 and being told it was ok to go ahead and ttc. Are you on the high dose of folic acid?

Hope you have success soon.

Rachel

shazz_5683 DAFNE Graduate
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
13 posts

Hi Rachel...
Thanks for replying.
Firstly CONGRATULATIONS on being 7weeks.....I will check out these suggestions you sent thanks for that. The only one I found was Diabetic mummy but thats USA i think!

Had a check up today and my HbA1c is 8.8 at the moment still a bit high but it was 12.6 so i think i have done well! Surprised)

Speak soon

Shazz x

Lena
Redbridge PCT, Ilford
1 post

Hi I am 37 and have been diabetic for 30 years. I have three kids aged 13, 10 and 7. I had no problems getting pregnant at all. My control was very poor before pregnancy but with help from diabetes team it was well controlled during. I did not go to the pre-conception classes but think its a really good idea! Keep practising!