changing to levemir- advice please

9 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

ruthhutchinson 39 posts

I am shortly going to be changing from Lantus to Levemir. I will be splitting my dose. Can anyone suggest what the best times are to take it? I usually eat breakfast at 8 and my evening meal at 6. I've been told that I should try to keep 12 hours between doses. Does that mean it would not work to take my evening dose along with dinner at 6 - do I need to wait until 8? Or do I have to waken at 6 AM and take the morning dose to fit in with my 6pm dinner? Any advice would be welcome please.

michdash DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
9 posts

Hi Ruth

I currently use levemir: 8.30 am and 8.30 pm, they say that lasts around 16 hrs however tends to taper off at around 12. I found that the 12 hr works for me and if I've accidentally forgot and took later than 8.30 pm then it tends to raise my BGs slightly (not greatly) I was in dafne course last week and this question arose. They said that you can take within an hour of the 12 hr Interval and it shouldn't affect BGs that much. I would just try the 6 pm after dinner and experiment, you may have a little overlap there and then you may find it may be fine. Log your results too see what effect it has over a few days due to the switch off insulin also etc
Michelle

ruthhutchinson 39 posts

Thanks Michelle. I have been looking online and the general consensus seems to be that everyone is different so I will just have to give it a go and see what happens.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I take mine at 6:30am and 9:30pm, so about a 15 hour split, its meant to last 12 - 18 hours, so it must do so for me, but might not for others.............

I take it later in order to give me more BI in my system at the time of the dreaded Dawn Phenomenon, which for me is bout 4:30 - 5:00 am.......

I would start with a 12 hour split, or breakfast and dinner kinda thing, see how it goes, then move it to later if its more convenient and record the results.......you might find it starts to run out at 8.30pm, or has depleted completely by then, in which case having it earlier or compensating with dinner QA will be needed..... Very Happy

Sue L DAFNE Graduate
Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust
1 post

I've just finished the DAFNE course & they say a minimum of 7 hours between the 2 doses so if you take the morning at 8am then you should be able to take the the evening dose at a time between 3pm and 11pm. I think it is a good idea to start about 12 hours apart and see how you get on, but don't see why you could not start at 8am and 6pm as long as you are aware of when the overlaps are.

I started taking mine at 8am and 10pm - I picked times that I knew would be convenient both for the week and weekend as you need to stick to the same times each day.

Good Luck!

ruthhutchinson 39 posts

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully it will all work out soon.

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

Hi everyone,
Something has to be done about these advertisements appearing constantly on the DAFNE site!
The above thread by allpurcbd appears to be a graduate however dumps this trash regarding flowers on the same site related to someone’s diabetic health problems on insulin. I have a suggestion that we widen the net to eliminate these self serving users. Why not have a number of trustworthy members that can eliminate these advertising threads as they appear on our site instead of leaving the onus to one person?

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi, I know its VERY annoying. I keep deleting these accounts when I spot them but they keep creating new ones....

torana DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
53 posts

Hi Marke,
It’s not only annoying. It’s highly devious, deceptive and delegitimises honest threads made by DAFNE members. The deleted thread was by “allbpurcbd” and it’s evident by the inclusion in the title that CBD is a focus of sales, not just flowers. Many members, may have tried CBD tablets for whatever reasons, yet now how can we believe their forum threads, in that they may be just a part of these pop up shops and members of sales teams infiltrating our pages.
You do fantastic work, yet like many of us it’s hard to juggle all of life’s responsibilities by yourself against these time wasters and “users” in the literal sense. Maybe, other DAFNE members have suggestions to eliminate these “users.”