Weight wanted

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

suvvern DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust – North East Sector Hospitals
1 post

Can anyone tell me how to put on weight without sending my blood sugars into silly land ?

I know from being diabetic for nearly 20 years that when I weigh between 9 and 9 1/2 stone I have test results that are, while not perfect, much more as they should be.

I have not had a hypo for several weeks, and my last HbAic was 7.7

Since the middle of December I have maintained a steady weight of 8 1/2 stone.(Yes, this does include over the Christmas period in which I pretty well sat around and pigged out constantly).

I shall, as soon as the snow has gone, be resuming a horrible part time job I have delivering menus round the locality, which I know will result in a weight loss of about 1 stone (based on having done this many times over the last 5 years).

This means by the end of February I expect to be about 2 stone less than I want.

I already eat loads, toast/cereal about 1 hour after I get up, a reasonable lunch and have a full cooked dinner every evening, have home made cake at least 5 times a week, and supper consisting of a sandwich (or more) every night.

hankypanky DAFNE Graduate
Salisbury DAFNE Centre
18 posts

hi suvvern
im no good at this weight stuff as i too am a type 1 of 15yrs and i have a VERY sweet tooth or should i say teeeeeeeeeeeth lol, well i eat all the time, especially with my new insulin pump, im always around 12 - 12 1/2 stone 6ft 4in and i can never put weight on i eat loads more than average Smile if i knew i would tell you lol but sry and just thought i would share with you
Steve H

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I have been diabetic for 11 years and wee brother has been for 24 years.

He is stick thin and I am 15 stone (6foot).

He eats collosol amounts of food yet does not put on weight, he does not follow the dafne principles and is on 2 jags a day. It really puzzles me.

The only time I was skinny, or at a healthy weight, was just before diagnosis and a few years back when I didnt bother with my diabetes (wasting away).

So why now when my bloods are good do I retain so much fat, I excercise moderately.

Is insulin involved with the production of fat cells?