HbA1c

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

Hi All

Happy New Year!

Just wanted to share that in Aug 09 before I attended the DAFNE course in Sept my HbA1c was 9.5%
I was at the clinic last week and I'm down at 8.4% woohoo!!!!
I'm over the moon and just wanted to say that by following the rules it actually does work. My eating habits haven't changed, I still have a dessert after dinner, I have a drink at weekends but I manage my insulin and carb portions. I honestly thought I'd still be around the 9ish mark but I'm not, and I hope to keep coming down.

Hope the news is good for you guys and you're seeing the results. It means a lot to know the theory does work!!

Sam x

Karen Westwood DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
38 posts

Hi Sam,

Happy New Year to you too!

Thats great news with you HbA1c result. It feels great doesn't it when you see the results for the hard work that you have put in.

I attended DAFNE the last week in July 09 and my HbA1c at the time was 8.5% When I went to the clinic at the end of November it was 6.7%. The only time I have ever had results that good before was during my 2 pregnancies. My Cholestrol level has only reduced to 3.6 due to my change in diet which has helped me shift 5 and a half stone since June last year. Heres to more weight loss and keeping going with the DAFNE principles in the next 12 months.

Keep up the good work and hopefully you will see your result reduce even further at your next clinic appointment.

Karen x

Rosemary DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
3 posts

I did the Dafne course in July and my HbA1c was 7.7. I am due at the hospital next week and am deperate to find out what it is now.
I have lost almost 2 stone and one of my friends said I now weigh and look exactly the same as I did before I was diagnosed in 1989!!! (apart from the wrinkles and some grey hairs!!) This made me feel great.

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

Hi Karen

Oh it doesn't half make you feel great. At least you know what your doing is right. I am pushing myslef to get below 7% then I can consider pregnancy. Although not for a few years yet but that is my main goal. The last thing I want is a rational reading findin out I'm pregnant and pushing to get tight control.

I have to say though the day I do get told the good news I will be exremley nervous, one cos i will be my first and 2 hypos, my diabetes in general. I see us females are well looked after anyway so here's to motherhood lol!!!

S x