Levemir doses

8 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Hi all.

There seems to be quite a few threads about Levemir timings but I'm very curious about doses right now... and total taken.

I currently take:

Morning BI 9, between 6.46am and 8am (whenever I wake up, I aim for 7am mostly)

Evening BI 20, between 6.30pm and 8pm (aim for 7pm)

My over night dose does not seem to be enough, hence this thread because 20 already seems a lot...

My total is 29. What's yours?

Many thanks advance! Smile

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

AM - 6:40 Monday to Friday - 30

PM 22:00 - Monday to Friday - 36

I weight 18 stone, 6 foot tall.............so more needed for me obviously.................but you should never think of doses at too much, you need whatever you need, simple as that.........in terms of BG control anyway, obviously you don't want to be overweight and you want to be taking as little insulin as possible.........but that's another hurdle to jump........... Wink

Marie Murphy DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
2 posts

I am now up to 34 BI levemir am and pm and still not achieving any target BG. Do I need to keep pushing it up? BG is steady between 12 and 14.

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
37 posts

I'm on 14 units of Levemir daily on a non exercise day and 13 units on exercise days. I take this at 5pm every night and feel lucky that I don't have to split my doses and not take such a large amount. Very Happy

JimS DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
2 posts

I would agree with all these comments.

I´ve just finished a DAFNE course and am now on twice a day Levemir like Marie and Novorapidboi.
I used to take a single dose in the evening but my bed-time readings were often high about 14-18 so the tutor recommended splitting them morning and evening - so now I take 12 at 7 in the morning and again at 7 in the evening - and my readings have now stabilised out around 5-10.
As for the quantity though, like Novorapid says - this is not something to worry over - depending on our lifestyles we can all be on completely different doses.
It´s something to discuss with your diabetes nurse - but if your pattern shows regular highs at the same time each day, then it may be advisable to increase your BI a few points for a few days to see how it goes - but remember don´t overdo it - change it by only about two units at a time - it's powerful stuff!

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Update! Thank you all for your replies. Sorry I did not look back at this sooner! D'oh!

I'm currently now taking these levels of Levemir...

Morning BI 4, aiming for between 7am and 9am
Evening BI 7, aiming for between 09.30pm and 11pm

After a lot of work and disrupted sleep, I discovered I would hypo overnight if I took anything above 11BI in the evening; during the day is still a bit of a puzzle to me but I'm glad of the numbers I'm getting currently from lowering it too. It's amazing how your body copes to keep you okay when your doses are not right yet. I did also try 3x daily BI for about 6months before getting to the point I am now; I definitely agree with the advice to stick to 2x BI daily. I did not seem to see any definite improvement from an extra dose of BI.

My meal ratios are also very different now since 2012. I used to try and aim for 1:1 for every meal when I first did the course, but now I take 2:1 breakfast, 1:1 or 1.5:1 lunch and 1:1 dinner which is providing a lot better support overall. If you stay stable when you have a carb free meal with no QA to mess the picture up (I tend to avoid even meats in these meals), definitely look at your meal ratio instead.

Low carb can be just as good if you trust your correctional needs requirements (I did not for a long time because when I was taking high doses of BI, my corrections would take me down by 4-5BG for 1QA Sad which was scary).

Things are so very different now, even if the work is never done because of sodding hormones messing up the BG patterns (stress, period, exercise..etc)! I still have loads of work to do for doses in relation to exercise... So much rubbish to think about! -_-;;

Stay well all! Smile

SlinkySixty54 DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
1 post

H, can I join in this discussion too please? I am a DAFNE graduate of 2005 for which I am very grateful to the difference it has made to my lifestyle. I have recently( over 18 - 24 months) lost 5 st and have found that this has made a tremendous difference to the amount of Levemir I now need.

My query is that looking at the postings there is a vast difference in the time people take their doses. I take my morning dose between 7.30 - 9.00 depending on what the day has in store as I have joined the retirement brigade but in the evening I take it as I go to bed which can be from 10.30 - 11.30pm. I notice that some are taking theirs early evening, is there an optimum time? Please can someone offer some advice/ suggestions.

alturn DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
78 posts

If your BGs are good, then you have a regime that suits you.

I take 11 of BI at 08:15 and 11 at 17:45 whenever possible to try and keep BI level constant. I tried BI at about 23:00 (as 17:45 didn't seem to work very well for a while) and was fine, then reverted again for the same reason, and also less likely to forget BI at 17:45 as take QA at the same time.