Celebrating Christmas with DAFNE

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

pam_w DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
7 posts

Hi Everybody I recently graduated at Pembury Tunbridge Wells and I am looking forward being able to share others experiences.

I posted on the Pembury forum about Christmas. As there aren't many of us on there at the moment it was suggested to me to post on the main board.I've had a quick search on here and haven't seen a previous post on this topic, so sorry if someone has already posted.

I was only diagnosed 2 years ago so last Christmas was my first. I was really careful last year with what I ate and drank and still had high BG. So I would be really interested in others experiences.

Looking forward to some good tips

Pam

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi, I probably shouldn't say this but hey honesty is the best policy. One days high BG is not going to do you any harm, whilst I agree we diabetics need to be careful don't stress on breaking the rules occasionally. Even with the best carb counting in the world and the best management of your BG's occasionally you are going to go slightly off track. My advice would be enjoy xmas !! keep good records of your blood testing and your carb intake then gradually you will learn from your mistakes. We don't complete the DAFNE course as experts in carb counting and BG control, we leave it with the tools to learn to become experts ( one day). The key is building up experience and learning how YOU react to foods of varying amounts.
Sorry I don't have any real tips , apart from enjoy xmas with the knowledge that you are now in control of your condition and you will learn from any mistakes you make !

P.S I will be having xmas pudding even if it does raise my BG :-)