sugars in the 20's who to call in aust.

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

russ_au DAFNE Graduate
Ballarat Community Health Centre, Victoria
2 posts

Hi, my sugars are in the 20's, this last week and i feel crap. i tried to call the educator in ballarat where i did the dafne course but shes not in today and the educator that i normally see has the phone switched off.

Is there another number for anyone in dafne that i can call?
Any ideas please

russ_au DAFNE Graduate
Ballarat Community Health Centre, Victoria
2 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

I have checked for keytones 0.2 was the result. tested by blood.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Russ,
Unfotunately there are not many people signed up from Oz as yet so you may not get a response from them. I am not a HCP but my advice would be don't panic. Your BG's are not ideal but given the way they are going up and down I wouldn't be hugely concerned about Ketones just yet. Your BG's are erratic and without lots of background information it might be hard to identify the exact cause on here. You
really need the help of an expert. I'm not sure how it works in Oz, do you have a Diabetes Consultant or Nurse you see regularly can they help with advice ? Sorry I can't help more. One thing I would say, earlier in the year I had to take Steriods and they cause Insulin Resistance. My BG's were up like yours for a few months and as far as I can tell it has done me no long term damage, well apart from the stupid idea of helping with a diabetes website, but thats another story :^)

susanh DAFNE Management
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
20 posts

Hi Russ,
I hope you are feeling a little better this week and have managed to track down your DAFNE educator in Ballarat. As an alternative in Australia, you are welcome to call the Diabetes Australia Diabetes Information and Advice Line (DIAL) on 1300 136 588. The DIAL operators can then put you through to a diabetes nurse educator and/or dietitian (normally between the hours of 9am and 4pm). In Victoria, quite a few of the DNEs and dietitians that take these calls are DAFNE trained, so will be able to give you more specific help when you can't get in contact with your own educator.

Cheers,
Susan (OzDAFNE Project Officer in Australia)