Hi!..... Im New

10 posts, 8 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Debs Ledger
South East Kent PCT
9 posts

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say Hi. I have just compleated a DAFNE course run by Janet Barber & Katie Vautier in Broadstaires Kent. I was diagnosed Type 1 just over 4 yrs ago. I was never taught to carb count or change ratios. After a terrible struggle since diagnosis DAFNE has explained so much that I didn't understand & now I have some answers to why everything was out of control! I know its not going to happen over night but I have already seen an improvement in control & my outlook on life is a tad Sunnier than a week ago!
Thankyou Janet & Katie you are true stars!

Debsx

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

Hi Debs

Hope your enjoying the site and your getting there with your diabetes with the help of oor pal DAFNE. Your so right when you say it doesn't happen over night. Approaching 8 weeks since I done the course and it's taken that length of time to sort me out and my control. Getting there slowly but surely.

If ever you need advice, a moan or just banter join in and say hello!

Sam x

Debs Ledger
South East Kent PCT
9 posts

Hi Sam,
Its great to hear from others who have graduated from DAFNE, I am so happy that I have now got the tools to acheive good control! I have had a few Hypos over the past few days but I now understand why! Today I have updated my online BG diary & have 2 green entries for today! My goal is to have a full 'Green Day' with no Reds or Blues, so fingers crossed. Glad to hear that its working for you too.

Take care
Debs

susieh DAFNE Graduate
Medway Community Healthcare
3 posts

Hi Everyone

I've just signed up to DAFNE online today. Although I did my DAFNE course at Medway about 16 months ago, I only found out about the online stuff today from Jan Campbell - so here I am!
I've already read some things about 'dawn phenomenon', which I think I have a plateful of. It's really helpful knowing I'm not alone with this.
Anyway, I really believe that DAFNE is the way to go. Debs - I was diagnosed 30+ years ago (the dark ages!)and only found out some things last year, so I know how you feel.
Now I need to find loads of time to read all the interesting stuff here.......

Su x

Toni DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

Hi my name is Toni i have just signed up today.

I attened the dafne course in aug 09 and had my 1st review. I am 22yrs old and had type 1 diabetes for 9yrs.

Any advice would be great, i have been doing some of the dafne thing years before the course so im not that bad at it. I tend to be good at helping other with there diabetes so if anyone needs my help or a chat please let me know won't be a problem.

louise russell DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Barking and Dagenham)
2 posts

i did the dafne course in feb this year. i found it was really helpful to manage my diabetes. i found out about the dafne course from my practice nurse at my doctors. i have been a diabetic for 28 years. since doing dafne i have lost nearly 2 stone in weight. i would like to thank dudu,nav and elaine for doing the course. i really enjoyed it from louise

Emma OToole 4 posts

Hi Everyone,

I signed up to DAFNE online today. I completed the DAFNE course in Dublin about 2 years ago. I've had Type 1 since I was 14 years of age. OMG 20 years ago!! Wow! I all of a sudden feel old Smile

Sorry I digressed for a minute. I love the freedom the DAFNE course taught me with my dosage, foods, handling of illness, stress, exercise, everything!

Before I started DAFNE I was having very bad hypo's during the night. So much so I need the glucose injection and to be hospitalised. They have since stopped since I completed DAFNE. My quality of life has improved for me and my family Smile

Anil DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
39 posts

Wow I've never need the Glucogen shot!.. I hope I never will, DAFNE should help immeasurably with this, I also have a few night time hypo's. But now I just keep a can of Normal Coke next to my bed along with some sweets and Hypostop, I tend to wake up in the night if I have a hypo, (Sweats, shakey, hungry)... So I can treat ASAP.
Anyways.. Welcome!..

kerryn bown 2 posts

Hi all, I just signed up today, I just finished my DAFNE course in June, at Sellyoak hospital with Lesley and Sam, the course was really helpful and I am already seeing improvements in my morning and lunchtime glucose readiings, it is taking time but it certainly is a huge help after being diagnosed about 15 years ago!! Like many others I have been livining in the dark ages with this and having set doses of insulin that you have to eat up to, so even when you weren't hungary - you had to eat!!! I am so pleased I can now eat what I like even a salad and not have to worry about whether or not it is going to make me hypo!!
Thanks ever so much to Lesley and Sam they do a fab job!!

Kerryn

Anil DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
39 posts

Hi!,

Tips for AFTER DAFNE

1. Practice It DAILY until it becomes a habit, It may seem daunting, but Its very easy, and will help for the REST OF YOUR LIFE, it is a SKILL FOR LIFE, and like all skills, Practice = Perfection.

2. Review your progress weekly when your free, (Sitting in front of the TV or something, bring your DAFNE BG book out and see what happened and when, Did you go out?, Did you do exercise? etc)

3. If you have any questions or problems.... Post them on this Forum! The best people to ask are US, We all have gained experience through practice. If your ever worried about something... JUST ASK!!

4. EXERCISE!!!... I know this isn't a "Tip", But its really important for us to exercise regularly, This will help with blood circulation (which improves nerve growth & repair, and reduce nerve damage) and generally help to prevent any long term complications.

5. Treat yourself every now and again for excellent BG control, This helps reinforce what you've learned and practiced and will also motivate you (Sub-conciously even) to make it into a habit.

6. Practice by eating different types of meals, Eating out and such. Remember you should be able to recall this from the top of your head (When out in restaurants and stuff).

7. And last one... Practice, Practice, PRACTICE!!... <--- This is very important, (I know I said it already!, But its THAT important) don't under-estimate it, take the time to know what your doing and review it every so often (Make changes were necessary)

Anyone else, feel free to share your own! Very Happy