Help me - I'm rubbish!!

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Lynne DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
8 posts

Hi all - just joined today so please be kind!

I did the DAFNE training in May and I thought it was brilliant - really easy and more importantly it actually works!

But I have a severe case of the 'can't be bothereds'!! I know what to do, I'm just not doing it.

I need a major kick! Is there hope for me??

Lynne DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
8 posts

Meant to say that I'm really hoping that the online blood glucose diary will help me!!

sanderaburns DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
5 posts

Hi Lynne, i did DAFNE training at St John's in March, like you i think it's brilliant, but filling in my diary is just a pain in the ***!
I got into trouble at my clinic appt in sept for not filling it in, my hb1 count had went up as well, so as my 'punishment' i had to fill my diary in for a few weeks and send it to Liz, i haven't filled it in for a couple of weeks, and find it so hard to start again.
I find that it's easy for people to tell you to do it, but they are not the ones doing it, i don't want everyone knowing i am diabetic as it is, and this just draws attention to the fact. I get a half hour break, so i have to test my BG, work out my CP's eat and fill in my diary, i am also coeliac so have to make sure i don't eat anything with gluten in it. I feel food is becoming a BIG issue with me!
Do you find that non diabetics 'tell' you what you can't eat? i get it all the time so that's why i hate telling people i am diabetic.
I know it's helping me but it's really hard, so you are not alone!
Sandra

Andy M DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
2 posts

Hi Lynne,

I did the course approx 6-8 months ago after struggling with poor control and poor health for a number of years. My weight spirallled out of control and I crept up to 18st 9lbs. My health was starting to affect my life style.

DAFNE taught me a lot; especially about food generally. It really is worth the effort. As for me??? Welll

My weight has dropped to 14 stone, my GP has taken me off ALL my blood pressure tablets (Lisinopril and Slozem), I have had zero Hypos, I am generally quite fit & healthy , I take much less insulin now (sometimes even skipping my long acting dose depending upon my carb intake) and I eat like a horse.

As for keeping records etc I suppose everyone finds their own way. I kept good records and counted accurately for a while; now it is just second nature, I sort of keep it in my head now....I find I do not need to keep accurate records..I just sort of got "into th groove" if that makes sense.

It is well worth perservering ...a couple of good books/reading some on line forums helps.

Keep in touch .. good luck

Andy

Lynne DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
8 posts

Well I have my next appointment on 20th November (eek) and know I'll get a row too - but really hoping that filling it all in online will really inspire me to pay more attention to my diabetes!

I got invited to my cousin's wedding in December and there was a bit on the reply card to state if you have any special dietary requirements - I didn't fill it in. I then had my auntie on the phone asking if I'd forgotten to fill it in etc..! I wish people would realise that in fact we can eat what we like!!

I know what you mean about drawing attention to your diabetes - I hate testing or injecting in front of people I don't know. So sometimes it doesn't get done to be honest!

Lynne DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
8 posts

Andy - thanks, that's really inspiring!! I do think it's all about habit and that once I get started I'll find it becomes more like second nature..!