Least painful lancet??

7 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

copperline DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
2 posts

Since being diagnosed nearly 3 years ago I must have performed at least 5000 BG tests - resulting in quite sore fingers. I originally used the lancet system that came with the Bayer Contour meter I was given at diagnosis. This only worked if I used it at is highest setting. I have recently been using an Accu-Chek Multiclix pen (encourages you to use a new lancet for every BG test) but this is quite brutal. I would be interested to hear what other system would be recommended - or maybe I am just soft! Thanks

Alann DAFNE Graduate 12 posts

Hi Copperline,

I've the Accu-ckeck mulitclix to be by the best i've used. Maybe it would be worth mentioning this to your HCP as it could be down to technique.

I have found though that not only rotating which finger i use, I also will use my left hand week one and the right week 2 as well as alternative site. This is by no means advice, but I do find testing from my upper arm farless painless and are more convienent.

Kindest regards

Alan.

Tracey Bond
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
14 posts

Hi Copperline,

After having Diabetes for 29 years I have used one or two different finger prickers. I keep going back to the same one, which is an Accu-check Softclix. The lancets are very flat in shape with a circular top. I am unaware if you can still buy it (Diabetes Clinic at my local hospital doesn't have any), never thought to look on the Accu-chek website! The lancets I get on prescription month after month so maybe....... It is gentle beyond belief!

Happy pricking! Tracey

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hello,

I'm using OneTouch UltraSoft lancets. Never had any problems with them being painful.

NiVZ

Katy B DAFNE Graduate
North Cheshire Hospital Trust
8 posts

Hi Copperline, I was using the one that came with the Optimum Xceed, I found it to be quite brutal and painfull. I mentioned it to my DAFNE educators and they gave me and a fellow friend the the GlucoJect Dual. I find it much less painfull and my friend also said she found it to be better. It combines 7 depth settings with an additional 3 Force Adjustment settings.

I found this info about it for you:
Securject Pro Featuring unique Comfort Zone Technology, Glucoject Dual S uses eight raised points to apply pressure on nerve fibres in the finger and send a message of comfort to the brain whilst masking the message of pain.

Damage or injury to the skin causes receptors to generate pain signals that are transmitted to the brain via the spinal cord. Comfort Zone Technology targets the sensation and perception of pain, providing greater comfort when taking a blood sample. This unique feature is based on the ‘gate theory’ by Melzack & Wall.

When pressed against the skin, the eight raised points stimulate sensory nerve endings that are responsible for contact, touch and pressure in the fingertip. This pressure targets the comfort receptors that send a powerful message that a non-painful action is taking place on the skin.

Melzack and Wall proposed this to be the ‘gate theory’ of pain, whereby, painful stimuli can be masked by counter introduction of non-painful stimuli. The activation of the larger nerve fibres by Comfort Zone Technology counters the sensation experienced by the small nerve fibres as the needle enters the skin.

Once the pressure is applied by comfort zone technology, the nerves in the skins focus on the eight raised points and continually send a message of comfort to the brain. This allows the lancet needle to penetrate the skin and the pain sensation to be shut out, allowing for a comfortable and virtually pain free blood sample.

Here are some photos: http://www.mediconire.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&Itemid=201

Hope this helps, Katy xx

leah
NHS Dumfries and Galloway
1 post

Hi, i use the Autolet impression. Its great, far better than any other one i have ever used!! It is designed to be less painful, it has six different settings for the lance and three different force settings, its another alternative to the GucoJect Dual mentioned above. Here is a link for you to have a look at. Hope you find ones that works for you.x

http://www.owenmumford.com/en/range/12/autolet-impression.html

copperline DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
2 posts

Thank you very much for all the replys which I am looking into and hope to find something better for me. I never knew you could use your upper arm for BG testing either. I hope the DAFNE website keeps going. Thanks