Golf and Dafne (?and ME)

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

megramsey DAFNE Graduate
East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust
4 posts

I have ME and diabetes. When I walk my BG goes down as you would expect and I need to have CPs or cut down QA. When I golf my BG goes up even though I walk further playing golf than I generally walk! Then just occasionally the BG does go down while playing. Later on I need to drastically cut my QA so I don't go hypo - is this ME or does anyone else have this problem?

John Roscoe DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
14 posts

Hi,
I don't have ME but 23 years experience of playing golf with diabetes.I usually play after breakfast and so I reduce my morning QA by 50% and then check my blood at the turn and take 1 - 2 CP's then dependent upon my blood sugar level usually works well for me. It seems strange that you find your blood sugar rises when you play. My experience is the opposite. Is your blood sugar very high or just slightly? Do you find your blood sugar drops an hour or so after playing?
Golf can be difficult for diabetics and folk think that as it isn't a really active sport controlling blood sugar is easy. I know from experience it sn't. However since attendinf DAFNE and applying the rules I have found it works well for me.
I would like to help but I don't have any knowledge of ME.
Cheers
John