Swine Flu

10 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

What has everybody else heard with regards to the swine flu vacination? My GP says the manufacturer has not released it, yet Diabetes UK says we will become priority to get it and to arrange with your GP. I work in the NHS and starting to wonder what scottish practices are telling patients to english?

Karen Westwood DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
38 posts

Hi Sam, I have been for my normal flu jab this morning and was advised that the swine flu vaccine should be available at the end of this month. I was told that they still didn't know how much was going to be available to each GP practice but that they felt that diabetics would definately be one of the first groups to receive the vacine. It is probably better to contact your GP practice to find out whether this is the same across the country.

Karen x

Sheila_Kay DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
11 posts

Hi Sam, I have my doubts about the vaccine for swine flu, I don't feel it has been tested adequately as yet. If I am called up to recieve it I shall have a few questions to ask. Having said that I always go for my annual flu jab, I have been told it is cheaper for the nhs to give me the jab than treat me in hospital with full blown flu, so diabetics do need to weigh up the pros and cons. Sheila

LizB DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
23 posts

Hi Sam
I had a letter from my GP practice last week offering the H1N1 vaccine as I am in the "highrisk" category of having a pre-existing condition. Clinics are happening this week...

Sam DAFNE Graduate
64 posts

Well I'm booked in for the jag on Thursday...not looking forward to it when I've seen the state of peoples arms. Is anyone going for it, had it and how have they felt?

Sam x

Debs Ledger
South East Kent PCT
9 posts

Hi,

I had my letter today Re:Swine flu jab, They say they should be ready for next week! I am still not sure if I am going to have it or not! I am worried either way!

Debs x

Sam DAFNE Graduate
64 posts

Home 30 mins and my left arm is rather heavy and quite sore. I've been told to expect pain for a few days, too late to go back now but hopefully it does not last too long!!x

Debs Ledger
South East Kent PCT
9 posts

Hi Sam,

I hope it isn't too bad, i've got mine tomorrow 11.30...........

Debs x

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I've got mine saturday. No need to worry ! The vaccine wouldn't be given nationally if there was any chance it could cause major side effects. Anyway the alternative is get iswine flu and take Tamiflu, now there IS something with well documented side effects, give me a sore arm any day ( well just a day would be nice ;-) ).
It will be interesting to see which areas get their diabetics done first, I'm in South East Kent PCT like Debs......

LizB DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
23 posts

Hi all

Had my vaccine last Friday. Like the others I had a sore arm for a few days - just about gone now. Also had that unpleasant oversensitive or "creepy crawly skin" sensation Friday night and Saturday. Took it easy and had a kip on the sofa on Saturday and was right as rain by Sunday.

Worth it though because people at work do seem to be getting Swine flu.