A wee story.....

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

Hi All

After completing DAFNE my nurse wrote me out a prescription for Ketone test strips for my monitor which I handed into my GP. I later discovered that my GP removed my normal blood test strips and replaced it with the ketone test strips (they assumed one was replacing the other as similar name) which I could see why. Anyway when I spoke to the receptioist and the words blood glucose test strips came out my mouth she shouted over my voice saying "aye they've been removed now you've to come see the nurse to get you're blood checked once a year" I blurted out "WHAT" says who? receptionist - "the Health Board" well I nearlly had a heart attack, that's not possible I said I'm type 1 diabetic I need to reg check my BG plus I've attended DAFNE and they tell you to check"!! She then says "Oh that's okay it's type 2s"!!
So has anyone heard that type 2s have now to go to the nurse to get their BG checked and that they will not be getting blood strips/monitors anymore? I certainly haven't heard on the news so I don't know what's going on there. Thought I'd share that!!

Sam

Sheila_Kay DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
11 posts

Hi Sam, I had a slight problem but not as drastic as yours. The Dr was reluctant at first to issue the Ketone test strips due to cost, she relented when I explained they were for emergancies only. But then when I next ordered the ordinary BG strips they gave me the Ketone ones as well, so I then feel guilty for spending money unnecessary. Ho Hum.